Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Teen Turns Tragedy Into Triumph

A car accident changed his life forever

MIAMI (CBS4) ― Nick Williams was the epitome of a scholar athlete. He had a 4.58 GPA and was the captain of his volleyball team at Cardinal Gibbons. But a car accident, changed his life forever, but didn't change the heart he puts into everything he does.

"It's not a blur, it's a blank. It's a blank. I can't remember anything," Nick said about the car accident.

The accident happened on Sunday, May 4th. Early in the morning, Nick left his father's house to pick up his uncle at his mom's house to take him to the airport. The exact cause is uncertain, but while on I-95, Nick lost control of his Ford Explorer and crashed into a tree. His immediate prognosis wasn't encouraging.

Now 17, Nick is paralyzed from the waist down and has problems with short term memory. He may inspire sympathy from some when they first see him, but when one listens to him, all that is displayed is his strong spirit.

"I could easily just lay in bed and just say no, 'I'm not doing anything. I can't walk. I'm going to be sad the rest of my life,' I can't go anywhere with that. I'm not dead, I can go places now," Nick said.

rest of article

No comments: